Today I installed my first Microsoft SQL 2008 server. I used Windows 2008 R2 as the underlaying OS. The installation was no problem so I decided to start with the migration of one of my SQL2005 Databases, the WSUS Database.
I searched the internet for documentation about it. But most of the information is about migrating the whole WSUS server. So I decided to give it a go on some information which I found for SCOM 2007. I did the following steps:
1. Stop WSUS and IIS services on you WSUS Server
2. I did a Detach on the SUSDB database on my SQL 2005 server
3. I moved the both the DATA and LOG file to my new SQL 2008 server
4. I did a Attach on the SUSDB database on my SQL 2008 server
5. I added a login on my SQL2008 server for the Computer Account on which the Update Services is running.
6. I edited the following REG key on my WSUS Server:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftUpdate ServicesServerSetup] "SqlServerName"= "YOUR SQL 2008 Server"
7. Start WSUS and IIS services on you WSUS Server
After the it didn’t work for me, after the SQL 2008 Installation I forgot to configure my firewall to allow SQL traffic. So I added the following Inbound Rules to the firewall:
TCP - 135 – Transact SQL Debugger TCP - 1433 – SQL Traffic UDP - 1434 – SQL Browser Traffic TCP - 2383 – SQL Analytics Traffic TCP - 4022 – SQL Broker Traffic
After adding these rules everything works fine.